Thursday, February 7, 2008

"How long does it take to paint that?"

When someone asks me "how long does it take for you to paint that", I reply, "Several hours and thirty five years".

I've found that many folks think a very fast painter should sell at lower prices since they value the work based on time spent in the production of it. When working outside, I only spend about two hours on a painting. Sometimes it's completed, and sometimes not. Depends on the size, how "into" the subject I was, or just my mood for that day. I can also spend several weeks, painting off and on as the mood strikes, on the same painting in my studio. (and come out with basically the same painting!)

Having said all that to come to this conclusion....time is relevant to each individual artist. One can attack the subject in a frenzy of motion with colors flying and it seems like "presto", a painting appears as if by magic.....in a matter of only an hour or more!! Another can work with slow thoughtful strokes over a period of days or even weeks and still the magic happens. The time involved is not as important as the fact that both entered into the process with their unique abilities, their own skill and knowledge, and the desire to be a part of creating.

I will add this....sometimes I wish the "process" would take longer because I enjoy it so much! But after one painting is completed....there is always another to begin on!

Happy painting everyone!
carly

No comments: